Saturday, August 12, 2006

Germany RULES

The train Nick and I caught this morning was awesome. So much better than any Italian train I've been on. Clean, comfortable, toilets that aren't just holes that you can see the tracks through, a smoking carriage. Generally kick-ass. Good old German engineering. And German efficiency; we had our tickets checked about five times in the six-hour trip to Berlin. There'll be no free rides here.
One other impressive example of efficient German engineering is an escalator we came across, which seemed broked but in fact only started moving when someone would approach it.

It turns out that the deposit on beverages containers isn't just a hostel thing: we went to a university party at a warehouse, and the same system existed there. 1.50 for a beer (cheap!), but you leave a 1 euro deposit as well. I lost mine, because I lost my token, but oh well, I drank my share of cheap beer.
It may have been a university party but it seemed like a high school party when a guy apporached me and said "There's a girl over here who thinks you're hot, come talk to her," or words to that effect. And so I was introduced to the third british Tanya that I've met so far on my travels. Hella cute too, and able to rugby-tackle me to the ground. In the end I left rather than dance to house music and deal with the fact that American Douchebag had showed up.

It was a pretty good time at the party, which was good because the day had been shit. We were going to go to the student area called Schwabing, but right after we set off it started raining. After spending some time back at the hostel reading and listening to music we ventured out, but didn't was to go as far as we'd planned (especially since figuring out the subway was nearly impossible for a English speaker. I'll give the Italian train system a point for that one, it was always a breeze there to get a ticket and figure out where you need to go). We went back to main street we'd been to and got beer and hung out. It was around 15.00 when the fucking APOCALYPSE started raining down on us. It was deliciously ominous leading up to that as well; the sky was dark grey, a wind picked up, a waitress broke a glass and all the people at the cafe suddenly left. Nick and I looked at each other, both sensing the terrible force that was brewing, but decided we were men enough to hack it. It was wonderful weather to listen to Dimmu Borgir to.

So, that concludes my chronologically backwards blog. Wow, it's just like that movie, Momento. I assume so, anyway. I haven't seen it. Steve, could you bring that home from Blockbuster when I get back?
Cheers, dude.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

u guys are terrific at these comments --- its sounds brilliant! Keep it up!

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home