Sunday, August 06, 2006

Roma

...

We waited for our train, and I was particularly agitated... I think it may have been the fact that I've had no opportunity to play an instrument for a couple of weeks now. But it may have been a reaction to a subtle premonition of the night to come.
Our train was half an hour late, and was the oldest, crappiest one I've ridden on yet. No air-con, and with six to fill the cabin, it was pretty stuffy when the train wasn't moving. And boy, was it not moving. We spent, for no reason I could see, two and a half hours at La Spezia station. This was from about 1.30 to 4.00. The others managed to sleep a little in the cramped and hot cabin, but I had to sit on the platform smoking and listening to Italians complaining to each other about the wait. We finally got going, then spent another half an hour in the next station. In the end, our 6.10 arrival time at Roma Termini became 10.00. I think I managed about an hour of sleep. But hey, it's all part of the adventure.

We checked out backpacks at the station and went sight seeing; went into the Colosseum, and walked through a bunch of ruins. We came back to get our bags and headed to the campsite to check in.
We had intended to get two tents and just sneak Adrian and I in like we had before, but that plan went to shit pretty quickly. This place is a much classier, more secure operation than at Florence or Cinque Terre. So we needed to move the booking around to fit 6 people, and ended up in a 5-person chalet (it's a mobile home thing) with AIR-CON! Woo!

Like most other places, there are swarms of Germans here as part of church or youth groups.

On Thrusday, Nick Wollan arrived. Beautiful reunions and everything... you know. He had a friend coming to join us to help celebrate his birthday, which turned out to be Dhondy, a friend from London. All the girls went spastic when he got here, and I can see why. He's an awesome dude, who occasionally cooks us breakfast.

So, for Nick's 21st on Friday night we went on a pub crawl. Because girls are girls, we were running hella late, and we were too late. We got off the bus somwhere random and decided to walk towards the meeting point anyway, and as luck would have it we ran into the crawlers. So we joined the group late, paying half as much, but we missed out on the free beer and pizza, which is pretty much where the value comes from.
It's was an awesome night, though, and good times were had by all the the two bars (we had missed the first one) and the club. I would have picked up the Canadian teacher, but her friend was a major obstacle. There was an American dude hitting on the friend, but at some point he gave up and went and kissed Andria instead.
I would have played the piano that was there, too, butthe place was closing, and the bouncer didn't want to hear my pleas for just five minutes.
Damn.

I'm running out of time, here... the girls are gone to Paris, Dhondy, Nick, Adrian and I are here for two nights, the Nick and I are going to Germany. We're meeting up with the girls in Amsterdam in a couple of weeks or something.
This blog entry was boring. I promise to do something dangerous an illegal again soon.

Missing you all. Caio.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home