Friday, August 25, 2006

Massive Attack, DJ Sadow, TV On the Radio

It was awesome to go see a big concert, and this was indeed a big one. I'm terrible at estimating numbers of people, but I'd guess around 8000. The venue was cool; a warehouse by the river, with old shipping containers outside making a perimiter. It was also less than 15 minutes walk from the apartment, which was a huge bonus.
TV On the Radio started, and for the first two songs I was absolutely blown away, especially by the second song "The Wrong Way". They rocked the shit out of that. The rest of the show was weaker, but still good. Their frontman in good, and their guitarist looks incredible; he has a huge afro and a massive beard. He looked like some kind of rockin' teddy bear. I was disappointed they didn't play "Ambulance"... I've been a little obsessed with that song since Amsterdam.
DJ Shadow was next. He had a screen behind him that was always playing cool stuff, and the video was partially controlled by the music and the DJ, as well as being pre-sequenced. I found some parts of his set pretty boring, but I was having a dance sometimes. "Organ Doner" rocked. Nick and Shez didn't think much of the two tracks he did with a singer (Chris James... having two first names is lame), but I quite dug them.
Now, I've never really gotten into Massive Attack, but I was expecting to enjoy the show a lot. Unfortunately, I didn't. There were some awesome parts, but for the most part I found it repetitive and boring. And the lead dude's stupid dance pissed me off. When I was digging it, though, I was digging it a lot; especially in the rockin bits and ESPECIALLY "Teardrop".

Overall, a great night. Woot!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw TVOTR with Ned last month at the HiFi bar. Unfortunately the sound wasn't doing me no favours, and I couldn't hear much definition through guitarnoise. I think it was my earplugs, but even with them out I was still having a Queens-at-the-palace type sound experience. But it was a good show, good stage presence (aside from the bass player). I loves their new album, greater than their first.

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so where r u now??

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home